We believe in urban revitalization – invigorating dilapidated blocks and re-purposing existing buildings. Here are some of our projects currently under development for apartment, office, retail & hospitality leasing.
Downtown Columbus apartment, office, retail & hospitality currently under renovation
Downtown Columbus apartment, office, retail & hospitality currently under renovation planning.
The Madison is a mixed-use revitalization project at 72-84 North High Street that includes three multi-story buildings with over 100,000 sq. ft. of leasable space. These buildings are considered a key part of the nationally registered High-Gay Historic District (Pearl Alley east, Wall St. west, Lynn Alley north and Elm St. south). This portion of High Street was once a major commercial corridor where 5 & 10 stores like S.S. Kresge’s, W.T. Grant, F.W. Woolworth’s and specialty clothing and shoe stores thrived. As with many of the other buildings in this area, they had storefront businesses on the street level and professional offices or light manufacturing on the upper floors.
Today, this portion of High Street is being called the next “epicenter” in downtown Columbus based on the sustained success of the restaurants, retail and offices on the Gay Street corridor; the dramatic renaissance in downtown living (expected to reach 10,000 by 2019); and the nearly completed construction by the Edwards Companies on the east side of High between Gay and Long – making this long-beleaguered portion of High Street adaptable for office space, restaurants, hospitality and retail. The Day Companies is partnering with the High-Gay Historic District foundation and the city of Columbus to bring this block back to life.
The Madison project includes:
- 72-74 North High a six-story, four bay, brick building constructed in 1916 with a total of 27,932 sq. ft. where Madison’s Women’s Store opened in 1927
- 78 North High a four-story, three bay, brick building with a total of 12,925 ft. which Madison’s purchased and combined with the 72-74 building in 1944
- 80-84 North High a well-preserved, six-story brick and terra cotta building with a total 56,088 constructed in 1914 for the White-Haines Optical Company. Richards, McCarty & Bulford, one of the city’s most important and prolific architectural firms in that period, designed the building and handled its expansions in 1916 and 1920.
The Madison project includes an opportunity for new construction south of 80-84 North High on two adjacent parcels.
Day Companies has a vested interest in the neighborhoods where our properties are located. We own 12 of the 18 historic buildings in the High-Gay Historic District including The Ruggery Building where our offices are located. We believe that maintaining the integrity of these historic assets revitalizes an important part of Columbus’ history and brings back the character and vibrancy to this long-neglected portion of High Street.
Date Built: c. 1914 - 1916
Property Type: Mixed-use